3.19.2008

Slip. Slide. Dip then take a dive...

It's raining this morning.
And I wore my wellies to keep the water out.
And my commute was pretty uneventful, save for a young dad trying to entertain his baby with a Nutri-Grain wrapper.
Somehow, I managed to make it to Seventh Avenue without getting my eye gauged out by protruding, jagged-edged umbrella spokes.
People.
If you have any smarts whatsoever, you use umbrella etiquette and you WATCH OUT for others.
You move and shimmy and calculate space to avoid injuring others.
You DO NOT carry huge, obnoxious umbrellas and then never raise them or hold them sideways as others approach.
You DO NOT just forge ahead, tangling strangers hair and slapping people in the face with wet nylon.
That useless thing on top of your neck? It's your head. Fucking use it.
And so comes the next part of my story.
I made it into my building.
No harm done.
Until I hit the polished marble floors.
And my wet, right rain boot slid out from under me and I came crashing to the floor.
Slamming to the floor.
Teeth clashing together, direct tailbone hit, loudly screaming "SHIT!" as I went down, which echoed throughout the enormous, gleaming lobby.
And yes, people falling is indeed funny.
It is.
But it was 8:30am.
And it FUCKING HURT.
And I guess that's what I get for thinking the way I do about my fellow pedestrians in life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was cracking up before i even started reading...the sign was a good indication of the story to follow. well done sister! hope you're not too bruised.

Anonymous said...

falling is always hilarious!